As Ronnie Floyd’s tenure comes to a close, and a new president rises up in his place, many questions will arise as to just how well he actually did as president of the Southern Baptist Convention. Here are just a few examples of why I think this term was more than questionable.
- Throughout his tenure, Floyd endorsed many different cult leaders and false teachers, which goes contrary to the commands in Ephesians 5:11 and 2 John 1:10 that we are to be separate from those who preach false doctrines. He partnered with Mike Bickle at the International House of Prayer and appeared at the Synergize 2016 conference with New age Guru,Leonard Sweet and NAR Apostle, Samuel Rodriguez. He has even partnered with one of the front-runner heretics of the Word of Faith movement, Kenneth Copeland (Source). Most recently, he is scheduled to appear at Together 2016 conference with Hillsong’s Word of Faith pastrix, Christine Caine, Gateway’s Kari Jobe, Roman Catholic, Matt Maher, New Age circle-maker, Mark Batterson, Ann Voskamp, (who flew to Paris to learn how to make love to God), and every Gospel compromiser’s favorite, Pope Francis (Source).
- He has taught the dangerous “Sow a Seed” type prosperity gospel. Just see this clip, where he teaches this and then quotes another prosperity teacher, Robert Morris (Source).
- He resorts to many gimmicks such as having a baptistery with a fire truck engine that shoots confetti onto the children’s section when someone gets baptized. He has even allowed his youth pastor to sing karaoke of a profane song to his youth group (Source).
- Ronnie Floyd does not treat the Bible as if it is sufficient. If asked, he would probably give lip service to the sufficiency of Scripture (See: 2 Timothy 3:16-17), but he often claims extra-biblical revelations. If you want to see an example of this, just look at 2016’s SBC Convention or certain articles on his website.
- Not only does he claim extra-biblical revelation, but many of these “prophecies” are false claims. For example, he has said, “God revealed clearly to me and anyone else that has been spiritually alert in America that one of the greatest sins in our nation today is the sin of racism.” (Source). However, the Bible showed that the greatest sin is idolatry when Jesus said that the first and greatest commandment is to love God and the only sin that won’t be forgiven is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
Ronnie Floyd was definitely one of the worst options the SBC had to offer as president. With choices like Voddie Baucham and Justin Peters, it should come as a surprise that Al Mohler and J.D. Greear nominated this guy two times. He preaches another gospel of wealth and prosperity, but even moreso he has made prophecies that have not shown to be true. Deuteronomy 18:22 (ESV) says about these people,
When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.
[Contributed by Brandon Hines]
A CALL TO ACTION
Bringing you discernment news and commentary from a biblical, polemical perspective means it is tough out there on social media. We’re constantly getting kneecapped and constrained by tech companies who find our fidelity to the scripture and pursuit of truth to be intolerable, resulting in our reach being severely throttled.
For this reason, we ask you please consider supporting us a few different ways. The first, by liking and following our new Facebook page, our home where we share new posts and interact with our members. The second, by following and retweeting our Twitter page. The third, by signing up for our newsletter below.
And last, through direct support. You can catch our free weekly episodes of the Polemics Report by subscribing at BTWN. If you like what you hear and desire to hear more, you can get the VIP full-length version for only $5.95 per month on Patreon. Also, you get other freebies for additional monthly pledges.
Subscribe to us on Patreon here and support our ministry.
Stay informed. Subscribe Today.
When you subscribe, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts to ensure that your newsletter doesn’t go into your spam folder.
Enter your email address below…