I continue to receive correspondence from Georgia Baptists saying that Johnny Hunt, Jim Law and others are telling concerned Baptists that “the public doesn’t know everything about the Ergun Caner situation” and we should, therefore, trust our leaders. They insist that there is evidence exonerating Caner they just aren’t permitted to share with us. This is nothing new. Timothy Rogers has argued that the “investigatory panels” (IE the Liberty trustee board that came up with the term “self-contradictory facts” and demoted him or the Brewton-Parker trustee board that hired him “because of the relentless pagan attacks” against him) that supposedly exonerated him have information that we don’t have about the situation. An anonymous commenter posting under different names said the same thing on a previous post on this blog just last night. Tim Lee, who was the chairman of the now-infamous “self-contradictory fact” committee at Liberty University was quoted as saying that there was exonerating evidence that just couldn’t be made public. Brewton-Parker Vice President CB Scott has said that “you don’t know everything the trustees know.”
Let me ask a question? What could the exonerating piece of top-secret, highly-classified, not-to-be-divulged evidence be?
Caner has made the following false claims:
1. He was trained in a Madrassa in Beirut before coming to America.
2. He was trained in a Madrassa in Cairo before coming to America.
3. He came to America at 14 (he was two).
4. He came to America at 17 (he was two).
5. His father was a polygamist with three wives (he was not).
6. His father was an Islamic scholar (he was an architect).
7. He debated folks of other religions at over fifty college campuses and held over sixty moderated debates, including a debate with Michael Moore (he had NOT A SINGLE ONE).
8. He knows Arabic, and spoke gibberish to demonstrate (he does not speak Turkish, Arabic or any other Middle Eastern Language).
9. He was raised in Turkey (he was born in Sweden and was raised in Ohio).
10. He learned in English in Brooklyn (he lived in Ohio).
11. He learned English by watching Dukes of Hazzard in Turkish subtitles (again, he does not speak Turkish, only speaks English, and the Dukes of Hazzard wasn’t even out yet).
12. The night he was saved he went to church in full Islamic garb and could only speak “broken English” at the altar (from eyewitness testimony to be revealed in The Caner Project, neither of these is true).
There are lots more, but that’s one for every Disciple, so that should be enough…
What piece of top-secret information does Johnny Hunt and the others know that they just can’t share? What can exonerate him of telling these lies to tens of thousands of people, a myriad of times, over the course of ten years when there is video and audio to prove it? What kind of esoteric, hidden revelation does Johnny Hunt have?
Instead of defending his actions publicly (which one would do if they could defend their actions), Hunt and others have instead engaged in a whisper campaign to tell the laypeople that there’s a piece of information that makes this all go away that they just can’t share with the public.
I’d ask us all, assuming that this mystery evidence exists, what – pray tell – could it be?
The only rational thing I can think of is that Caner is a member of Witness Protection. Perhaps he was trained in a Madrassa to conduct Jihad in Beruit and Cairo while on family vacations way from his family home in Turkey. Then, Caner’s biography of being a Sweden-born and Ohio-raised run-of-the-mill suburban kid with a hippie mother and estranged Islamic architect father is just a cover created by the FBI as a part of some plot to protect him from henchmen engaged in organized crime (and all the witnesses to Caner’s suburbanite, normal upbringing in Ohio are plants carefully coached by Witness Protection to validate his story). This is the only scenario in which I could possibly imagine Caner could be vindicated for the story he has told countless hundreds (or more likely, thousands) of times.
If you have any other possibilities, please let me know. Feel free to tell Johnny Hunt also; he’s probably scrambling to find it as well.