We See You: SBC Today Canerizes Comments

[Update: The comment mentioned below, now deleted, can be found here – The Gospell_Adam Harwood_SBC Today_Response]

I discussed Adam Harwood’s post at Synergism Today on Thursday’s program, and so I’ve been vaguely interested in the comments to follow. Harwood (the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary professor, previously Emir Caner’s Truett-McConnell College) is the intellectual head of the harshest anti-Calvinism segment of the Southern Baptist Convention, attacking the Doctrine of Original Sin (as classically understood) at the John 316 Conference and galavanting around with the crazy fringe comprising the Connect 316 board.

Harwood’s diatribe on God’s unfortunate inability to save everyone he wants and Christ’s unsuccessfulness at the Cross was soundly “smacked-down” (forgive the vernacular) by comment number 61 on the thread at Synergism Today. Taking a cue perhaps from Emir’s brother, the director of communications for Truett-McConnell, Norm Miller, has Canerized the entire comment thread. In other words, it’s now gone missing – even though the top of the said article still shows “75 Comments.” You see, that’s the thing about Canerization; it’s never complete and the job is never quite done.ll

Because I absolutely abhor the Canerization process, I thought I’d give you a link to the Google web-cache so you can see the comment thread for yourself.

[Update: Sorry, Google Cache has updated – the comments are now gone with the wind]

Oh, and don’t be surprised if the comments go back up. That would be their attempt to Canerize the Canerization. I know that would seem preposterous, but so would two Caners serving as Southern Baptist college presidents.

[Contributed by JD Hall]

Please help maintain this site by donating here.
Facebook Comments
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Les Prouty says:

Who was commenter #61? I have all the comments in my feedly. I can send it to you.

2. Debbie Kaufman says:

I see all the comments are now gone on the original site, but I particularly liked this comment from Eric. It was well thought out and articulated through the use of the Bible.

“Hey Robert,

All this debating stuff aside, let’s talk about one separate issue. You said that the Spirit works in us before we are able to believe or have faith, this I would wholeheartedly agree with. The Spirit by God’s grace alone is the sole reason anyone comes to faith in Christ and His work for them on the cross.

As far as “process” of salvation goes, can we at least clarify this process in terms of justification and sanctification? I was poking at you a little when I asked what else must be done. When we say someone is saved by faith in Christ, we would both confirm that this person would be as Abraham is portrayed in Romans 4, that he “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” Right? Now this is before he had offered Isaac on Mariah, as evidence of his faith. So in terms of justification, or God’s declaring us righteous before Him as a legal declaration, we would both agree this occurs at conversion? Right? At conversion/belief/trust/faith/ God imputes or credits the righteousness of Christ to our account so that when God looks at us, He doesn’t see our sin nature that we know we all still fight against (Rm. 7), instead God sees the wedding garment of righteous supplied to us based on the finished work of Christ. From this perspective of imputed righteousness, we live as new creations. The other things you were mentioning, like good works, these would be because we are “his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus….”Eph2:10. So the salvation guaranteed by the Seal of the Spirit, is a reality both here and now, and in the future, for those “whom He began the good work in” that they may rest assured “He will be faithful to complete it.” When you said “we must obey” and “we must live lives of Holiness” something in me wanted to say Yes!, but not as a command like “must”, because this was the essence of the commandments given through Moses, and the command given by Jesus that we “must repent and believe”….neither of which man can obey! Hence, the good news of the Gospel. What God required, He also provided…the Perfect Priestly sacrifice, the Perfect law keeper, the Perfect King as a substitute, so that by faith, we who are united with Christ, are no longer condemned! Rm.8:1.
    “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Rm. 5:1-2”

God Bless,
    Eric

3. Mark says:

What is “Canerize the Canerization”?

Is it some kind of Calvinian term to made up by some kind of Hyper-Theologian?

4. paperthinhymn says:

Not quite

5. Mark says:

But almost?

Was it instead, a made up “sophomoric” term invented by a Hyper-Calvinian Theologian acting un-Christian?

I looked up “canerize” in the dictionary, the word doesn’t exist, can’t find “canerization” either.

6. Mark says:

If the term “canerize the canerization” isn’t childish please defend yourselves.

If you any of you have come to the realization that term as being tasteless, have the courage and admit it so you can repent.

7. Mark says:

It’s possible to express criticisms or disapproval’s of certain individuals, without making a mockery of one’s last name.

I find it odd, that any “Godly” Preacher would make himself vulnerable (to what would be interpreted by some) by acting like they are trying to combine Godly views and practice tactics you would expect to witness from “secular” school yards, which really creates a diversion of the point they are trying to make.

I guess the good news, is there isn’t enough followers in this thread that is recognizing this unusual heavy-handed Methodology, as there isn’t very much criticism or praise.

I think it is possible to be aggressive in one’s views, without being excessively immature or Un-Christ like.

8. Mark says:

Some how I think you agree with my assertions about how to conduct oneself in how they expose their views but you can’t seem to get over that hump.