Since the passage of Roe v. Wade giving women the right to murder their own babies, slowly, but surely, the value of human life has eroded. Throughout the years since its passage, not only has it been established in the hearts and minds of those who are pro-abortion that babies have no right to life nor possess inherent value, its their “autonomy” that gives them this right.
This same autonomy is the narrative for the pro-death movement “Dignity in Death,” also known as assisted-suicide and physician-assisted suicide. Their mantra “we have the right to kill ourselves.” Life becomes to painful, burdensome, or even lonely…at some point they will cry, “It’s my right to determine when I die” or “My body, my manner of death.”
We certainly haven’t reached that place – yet – however, you can be sure it’s on the horizon.
In 1990, the Supreme Court of the United States of America ruled that patients and their health care agents, through either a living will or do not resuscitate form, could withhold treatment.
Currently, all states have legislation making it legal to withhold treatment such food and water or resuscitation once an individual has died.
As states began crafting and passing legislation allowing for assisted-suicide (the physician prescribes the lethal dose of medication), some have crafted and introduced laws to include physician-assisted suicide (the physician administers the lethal dose of medication).
The following states have assisted-suicide or “Dignity in Death” (either legislated or by caselaw):
- California- 2015 End of Life Option Act includes physician assisted (on hold for appeal).
- Colorado – 2016 End-of-Life Options Act.
- Hawaii -2019 Our Care, Our Choice Act.
- Montana – 2009 Rights of Terminally Ill Act (expanded to include assisted-suicide and shields physicians from prosecution in physician-assisted upon signature of patient).
- Oregon – 1994 Death with Dignity Act.
- Vermont – 2013 Patient Choice and Control at End of Life Act.
- Washington- 2008 Death with Dignity Act (individual hospitals may refuse to participate in euthanasia).
This week Oregon has scheduled euthanasia laws to go before their respective committees for a vote.
The following two pieces of legislation are:
- House Bill 2217 (HB2217) – Relating to death with dignity; prescribing an effective date. Intends to expand the administration method to include lethal medication deliverable by IV, injection, gas mask, and other ways. Allowing for malice misuse. Even those who are pro-euthanasia seem this bill as dangerous.
- Senate Bill 579 (SB 579) – Creates exception under Death with Dignity Act to 15-day waiting period for patient with less than 15 days to live.
Be assured, pro-death proponents are not up in arms over the expanded language in HB2217 to include additional means of assisted-suicide, autonomous death is their right, at this point they want that decision it to remain in their hands. Ironically, they’ve failed to do even a cursory review of history – eventually their so-called autonomy in death will leaves their hands and becomes a government’s right.
That will be the fruit of their deeds as they continue to rebel against the only one who sovereignly has the right of life and death, the only true and living God of the Holy Bible.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.Genesis 1:27
“Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.Genesis 9:6
A CALL TO ACTION
Bringing you discernment news and commentary from a biblical, polemical perspective means it is tough out there on social media. We’re constantly getting kneecapped and constrained by tech companies who find our fidelity to the scripture and pursuit of truth to be intolerable, resulting in our reach being severely throttled.
For this reason, we ask you please consider supporting us a few different ways. The first, by liking and following our new Facebook page, our home where we share new posts and interact with our members. The second, by following and retweeting our Twitter page. The third, by signing up for our newsletter below.
And last, through direct support. You can catch our free weekly episodes of the Polemics Report by subscribing at BTWN. If you like what you hear and desire to hear more, you can get the VIP full-length version for only $5.95 per month on Patreon. Also, you get other freebies for additional monthly pledges.
Subscribe to us on Patreon here and support our ministry.
Stay informed. Subscribe Today.
When you subscribe, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts to ensure that your newsletter doesn’t go into your spam folder.
Enter your email address below…