Russell Moore says people against illegal immigration will become pro-choice.

In a not surprising tweet yesterday on Twitter, Dr. Russell Moore of the Ethics and Religious Liberties Commission makes an outlandish claim, insinuating that if you are against illegal immigration, then ultimately, you will sell out to the pro-choice abortion camp.

Moore has been a champion of amnesty for quite some time. At one point, he referred to Jesus as an illegal immigrant. In another article that Moore wrote, he says:

I’m amazed when I hear evangelical Christians speak of undocumented immigrants in this country with disdain as “those people” who are “draining our health care and welfare resources.” It’s horrifying to hear those identified with the gospel speak, whatever their position on the issues, with mean-spirited disdain for the immigrants themselves.

Russell Moore doesn’t seem to have any regard for the law of the land, that has been established, and ordained by God. Speaking ill of people who are against illegal immigration, and promoting amnesty for those has nothing to do with the Gospel. In fact, those who have been changed by the Gospel would expect law and order in a civilized country.

So once again, Russell Moore is using his persuasive position of leadership to discredit, defame, and vilify people who don’t stand for what he stands for by making an absurd, illogical comparison between those who respect the law, and those who are pro-murder.

Shameless!

Contact Us Donate

Facebook Comments

1. Aaron says:

The law of the land has always sought to care for children, even with dubious immigration status. The USA, largely because of its Christian roots, has never turned children away at the border nor considered a child here illegally to be guilty of a crime. Certain politicians, namely Trump, are trying to advocate a reversal of those policies while claiming to be pro life. If we cannot respect life in our immigration policy (which can still be done in a way that uphold the law), then we aren’t going to respect it in the womb either.

• Jeff Maples says:

I appreciate your comments.

Look, I’m no fan of Donald Trump, believe me, and I certainly hope that he does not win the nomination. However, his position on immigration is not incorrect. There are a multitude of reasons not to vote for Trump, but making immigration an issue is preposterous from a biblical standpoint. Since you appear to be speaking on behalf of Moore, clarifying his position, I will address it in that manner.

Laws are laws, and just because our laws have not been enforced in the past is not an excuse not to enforce them in the future. There is no statute of limitations on age when entering the country illegally. If a 14 year old kid murders someone, we don’t view them as not being a criminal simply because of their age. That’s absurd.

So what Moore is advocating for here is simply an unsustainable flow of immigration into our country that simply can not work. The two options are:

1.) Do not seal off borders, and continue to allow a limitless flow of illegals into the country, who don’t register, or pay taxes, while drawing government benefits from those who do honestly work and contribute to society. We can throw undocumented children into orphanages where they are abused, mistreated, and become nuisances (at best) and hard criminals (at worst) within our borders. Grant them amnesty, which would in essence acquit them of their federal crime.

2.) We can crack down on the illegal immigration, starting with cracking down on employers who hire them, in which the vast majority would leave on their own. Children who are here illegally would be required to leave as well. This would then open the door for those who truly want to enter legally, and contribute to the system rather than suck it dry.

Don’t you think that these children who are here illegally would be better off with their own parents in their own land? Should they really be here in unmanageable multitudes, being thrown into orphanages and running the streets and committing crimes?

Russell Moore is advocating for a socialist/government solution to the problem, in which I am wholeheartedly opposed to. And it absolutely makes me sick to my stomach that he would insinuate that my stance on immigration would make me pro-choice.

As a Southern Baptist, he does not speak for me.

• Aaron says:

I don’t know if I’m clarifying Moore’s position or not, but I think that’s what he meant by his tweet.

I’d be inclined to go with your second option, though I am not against a fast track for those who are here illegally but have not committed a crime (overstaying a visa or crossing the border as a child are not crimes under US law).

Regardless, I think when Christians enter the immigration debate, we should be careful to view illegal immigrants with a compassion that would be unique to world.

• Jeff Maples says:

That’s exactly where I have the problem. Insinuating that I, (or anyone who is against amnesty, and want to see the rule of law prevail) are somehow not compassionate towards people is absurd.

Not defending Trump, as I don’t know what’s in his heart, but speaking for myself, I don’t see it as compassionate, or biblical, to remove the personal responsibility from individuals who commit crimes.

You said, “crossing the border as a child are not crimes under US law.” If that statement is true, then why can’t they just come in through the check points? If they aren’t breaking a law by being here, then there is no reason for them to be crossing deserts, and crawling through tunnels, correct? No, it’s illegal. There is no age limit.

God ordained civil government for a reason, and it’s to uphold the rule of law. What I view as uncompassionate is allowing people who are committing a crime to believe that they aren’t, with no penalty. It’s one step from a false gospel. If we allow people to believe that they are not sinners when they truly are, then they will not see their need for a savior. The Biblical principle is the same, there must be accountability for crimes, or there will be no repentance.

I don’t argue that they are ????? ???, just like everone else, and upon that truth, they must be treated as such. But holding them accountable for their crime doesn’t undo that. We can reach individuals with the Gospel, while still holding them accountable–that’s the biblical way.

That being said, I strongly advocate for the removal of all illegal immigrants.

• Aaron says:

I did not mean to insinuate anything about you or your position.

As for it not being a crime, that is different than it being legal. Just like recording a baseball game without the expressed permission of the MLB is illegal, it is not a crime, so a child that enters illegally is not considered to have committed a crime. That isn’t an opinion, that is current immigration law. The same is true for overstaying a VISA. It is a crime to tunnel under the border. However, according to the law, if a child is brought by an adult through that tunnel, the child did not commit a crime. Its a subtle distinction, but a distinction none the less.

So there are cases (perhaps in the minority?) where someone may be here illegally but may not be guilty of a crime. In those cases, I’d advocate a path to citizenship.

Do not get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that we move away from the rule of law. Nothing I have said here diverges from US immigration laws.

As Christians enter the immigration debate, I think we need to advocate for compassion (I’m not saying that you do not). That does not mean open borders, but it may mean understanding that an infant carried across the border is not guilty. It may mean continuing to investigate children who show up at the border on their own (as happened en masse not long ago). It also means prosecuting those American businesses that choose to profit from illegal immigration, often putting their workers in inhumane conditions. It also means cleaning up our current system which encourages illegal immigration.

Our current system is terrible, and economies based on illegal immigration lead to all sorts of horrific things. I’m for reform because it is the most compassionate.

• Jeff Maples says:

Not saying that you were making the insinuation, but Moore is.

OK, I agree with you that a child that is forcibly brought across the border by his/her parents, (who isn’t at an age to make that decision on his/her own) is not guilty of a crime. But it sounded like you were saying that anyone under the age of 18 that crosses is not guilty. That isn’t the case. Anyone, regardless of age, who crosses the border on their own is certainly guilty. Other cases could be determined on a case by case basis. But that’s beside the point, and is a minority of the cases.

That being said, deportation, and returning children to their parents is still, undoubtedly, the most compassionate, and most biblical solution to the problem. If they came with their parents, they should go back with their parents. If they came by themselves, they should be returned to their parents in their own country, or turned over to their own country of citizenship’s social services. We simply are not equipped to continue to deal with the vast majority of non-contributing immigrants in this nation. At some point, the system implodes, and everyone goes down.

• David Pitman says:

Murdering a child in the womb and moving a child back to Mexico with parents are not morally equivalent.

2. Edward Chapman says:

I gotta say that the comments are pretty strange, in my humble opinion. It’s strange because it’s like there is a weird stance on Donald Trump. It’s like saying, Donald Trump is a great guy, but I can’t stand him. Or, Donald Trump is a terrible guy, but I like him. Which is it? That’s a rhetorical question.

OK, so, getting on the conversation, in regards to borders, and ILLEGAL ALIENS, they are not supposed to be here. I am a Christian, and I say get rid of them. God definitely discussed borders with the children of Israel. And to say that they had no right as to who got to live and work there is crazy. Even Abraham had to ask permission from Egypt to feed his live stock. They could have kicked him out. And he would have RESPECTED that decision. So, I don’t care if you gotta “round ’em up” to get ’em out…just get them out. Why? They don’t belong here. Otherwise, don’t lock your front door when you leave for work, or the store, or on vacation. Leaving your door unlocked is the Christian thing to do, right? After all, they might be homeless. And aren’t we called to take in the homeless, and feed them? I’m sure that there is a whole bunch of homeless people just waiting to ransack your refrigerator and pantry. Yes, we Christians can be so dumb, and stupid at times with all of our fake compassion, but on our political views, sure, let ’em in, the government will take care of them. Ya, but will YOU? Just passing the buck from you to the government is not right.

Bottom line, Mr. Moore does not speak for God, nor for me. He can speak for himself and his flock, but not me, and not for all evangelicals. Better yet, he should keep his opinions in a book on Amazon, making filthy lucre.