Speaking at the Hillsong conference, Mark Driscoll repented for a number of things. Praise God. Hallelujah.
Milking the Best-Seller’s List by Improperly Using Church Funds Asking staff about their wive’s favorite sexual position Well more than a dozen counts of plagiarism Porno-graphic discerno-vision Throwing people under the Mars Hill bus
No. Driscoll didn’t repent for any of that stuff. Driscoll repented for having criticized Joel Osteen.
Yep. You read that right. Fast-forward to about 20 minutes, 40 seconds to hear it.
Driscoll used the opportunity to publicly apologize for having ever criticized Osteen, and claimed to have asked Osteen permission to send him a private letter of apology. Houston, of course agrees, and says “…at the end of the day, we’re all on the same side.”
We agree. Osteen and Driscoll and Houston are definitely on the same side.
Other highlights include:
- Comparison of Martin Luther’s 95 theses to “angry bloggers” on the Internet
- Houston calling his church “grace oriented” (as opposed to repentance-oriented?)
- Driscoll apologizing for “misconceptions” regarding his complementarianism
- Driscoll’s “Women are penis homes” comment was definitely brought up, and Driscoll says of himself that “…this was not a healthy person operating from a godly place.”
- Driscoll laments not having more women involved in ministry at Mars Hill
- Driscoll says it’s not his business to correct or critique Brian Houston
- Driscoll says he wants to come into different families of church to learn and teach
- Driscoll repeats – again – the story of God’s direct revelation and spoken word from God telling them to resign (at which point Driscoll breaks down in tears)
As Pulpit & Pen has said from the very beginning, watch Driscoll. He’s going full-bore charismatic. That’s the circle that will rehabilitate just about anybody. He knows that.
Did you ever think you’d see the day that Driscoll publicly apologized to Joel Osteen for criticizing him? He’ll be on TBN in no time. Mercy.
[Contributed by JD Hall]
[Editor’s Note: Thank you to William Throckmorton, who uploaded this audio first]
A CALL TO ACTION
Bringing you discernment news and commentary from a biblical, polemical perspective means it is tough out there on social media. We’re constantly getting kneecapped and constrained by tech companies who find our fidelity to the scripture and pursuit of truth to be intolerable, resulting in our reach being severely throttled.
For this reason, we ask you please consider supporting us a few different ways. The first, by liking and following our new Facebook page, our home where we share new posts and interact with our members. The second, by following and retweeting our Twitter page. The third, by signing up for our newsletter below.
And last, through direct support. You can catch our free weekly episodes of the Polemics Report by subscribing at BTWN. If you like what you hear and desire to hear more, you can get the VIP full-length version for only $5.95 per month on Patreon. Also, you get other freebies for additional monthly pledges.
Subscribe to us on Patreon here and support our ministry.
Stay informed. Subscribe Today.
When you subscribe, please add email@example.com to your contacts to ensure that your newsletter doesn’t go into your spam folder.
Enter your email address below…